Friday 11 November 2011

Sand Troll Puppet making

Every wednesday morning I go in and chat to Steve and I have printed of my Sand Troll to actual size 27cm x 15.5cm.

I have decided to make my puppet out of foam because it's light and has sandy texture. The lines I have drawn on this picture represent the armature which I am making out of wire and dense foam.

I tried two samples of foam armature leg, one with p.v.a glue covered in sand (Leg on the left) and the other one just painted with acrylic (Leg on the right).

When moving them the sand covered one, it was rock hard and cracked when bent. Also, even though it was real sand it didn't have a got textured look and very bland.

Luckily my acrylic one keeps the foam texture and doesn't crack when bent. So I'm going to paint my puppet like this. The only problem is getting the paint the same colour as real sand, which it will stand on, on the set. So I'm going to do a sample of foam painted next to sand to see if i can make it look identical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment